The 3 liter Lagonda was a direct development of the 2.6 liter model, which was one of the first all new British luxury cars to appear after the hostilities of the Second World War. Lagonda had enjoyed an excellent reputation before, the war, and this was further enhanced when it employed the services of W.O. Bentley, whose own British Motors had by then fallen into the hands of old rivals Rolls Royce. Lagonda showed an attractive and brave face to the world it unveiled its all new 2.6 which had W.O. Bentley’s excellent twin camshaft straight six engine, rack and pinion steering, in board rear brakes and all new independent suspension. Gearbox tycoon David Brown liked the car and purchased the ailing company in 1947. He owned Aston Martin, too, which is why the DB2 ended up with the Lagonda’s engine, but that as they say, is another story for another day. Saloon and drop head coupe versions of this refined car were built, but high prices and the fact that it was, perhaps, a little on the slow side, kept sales down. The 3 liter was an attempt to give the car a bit more power and more modern, slab sided look, but in the face of cheaper, faster opposition, success still eluded the big Langondas.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s ownership of a Trick ford Drop head version increased its charisma a little, but in 1958 David dropped the Lagonda marque, and there were on more new Lagondas produced until the 1951 Rapide.