The Mercedes Benz 540K was launched at the 1936 Paris Motor Show. Friedrich Geiger designed this car based on the predecessor 500K, which was as a matter of fact an improvement over the famed SSK. The 540K was available as a cabriole, coupe, and limousine. A special edition of this car had full body armored protection. It was also the largest car of its time, in production.
At its heart was the already famous 500s 5.4l powerhouse, with twin updraft carburetors, producing a massive 115bhp.Just as in earlier models of by Mercedes this also had a manual engaging turbocharger which could bump up the power to a healthy 180 bhp as and when needed. All this muscle enabled it touch speeds in excess of 170 kmph.
There were two transmission modules present in the 540K. On one side the standard four speed gearbox and for speed lovers a five speed gearbox with the final three having a synchromesh. The breaks were nevertheless, having hydraulic and vacuum systems to bring it to halt.
The 540K had the same chassis as the 500K. This was a lot lighter than the original, due to the replaced girder-frame with oval tubes.
Individual customers could have three chassis variants, four seater cabriolet, touring and sedan. The shorter chassis was for the two seaters.
The outbreak of world war II meant postponing development of the newer 580K with a 5.8l engine. Production came to a halt in 1940, and the remaining chassis being modeled in the period from 1941-1943.